- Waterstone’s Children’s Book Prize 2008
- Glen Dimplex New Writer of the Year 2008
- Glen Dimplex New Writer’s Award – Children’s Category 2008
- Brilliant Book Award 2009
- Calderdale Book of the Year 2009
- Warwickshire Secondary Schools Book Award 2009
- Carnegie Medal 2009
- Manchester Book Award 2009
- Wirral Paperback of the Year 2009
- Gateshead Children’s Book Award 2008/9
Ways to Live Forever is also available in a teacher’s edition from Longman.
I’m delighted that children are reading this book in schools – I think as a society we fail our children by not talking to them about death and that by doing so we turn it into something frightening and mysterious. I would urge teachers, however, to be very aware of the histories of children in their class before they start studying it. A child coping with bereavement or a sick family member may find this a helpful book to read in their own time, but being forced to study a text like this in a school setting could be the last thing they want or need.