Events & Visits
I am happy to visit upper primary and secondary schools. I am very flexible, and willing to work around your requirements.
My author talk is usually focused on my latest books, so it varies. However, I’m very flexible and am willing to talk about specific books, or my writing career in general. Please see below for further details and information.
- My journey from being a child who loved stories to an adult who writes them.
- The Black Death – what it was like, how you knew if you had it and the parallels to modern disasters.
- A would-you-have-survived-the-Black-Death? interactive choose-your-own-adventure game.
- A potted history of Victorian mass-murderer Amelia Dyer, and the concept of a baby farmer.
- Readings from my books – a reading from scary ghost novel Close Your Pretty Eyes usually goes down particularly well.
- A chance for students to see some of the physical items associated with being a published novelist, such as an annotated draft, a proof copy and foreign editions of my books.
- Time at the end for questions and signings.
Creative Writing Workshop
I run several creative writing workshops, which vary depending on the age of the participants. Some examples of what I do include exercises in description, story-starting exercises and free-writing techniques. By the end of an hour, you should come away with a piece of writing or the germ of a story, which can be developed later.
I can also do a simple reading, or a question and answer session. Both of the above sessions last an hour, but can be lengthened or shortened as necessary.
For schools visits, I charge £350 for a full day and £200 for a half day, plus VAT. For other events, such as talks at bookshops or requests to open libraries etc, please ask – I’m very flexible and willing to give discounts. Please click here for contact details.